Ginger-Almond Pear Bread
We inherited a bountiful pear tree when we moved to our property years ago. The fresh-picked fruit is especially luscious in this moist quick bread spiced with ginger and dotted with crunchy almonds.—Ruth Ealy, Plain City, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled ripe pears (about 2 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Stir in crystallized ginger. In another bowl, whisk eggs, oil and extract. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in pears and almonds (batter will be stiff).
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Originally published as Pear Ginger Almond Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.