- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in ginger and lemon peel. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients; sprinkle over muffins. Bake 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forGinger & Lemon Muffins
"I made these last night and they were great! The ginger amount is correct, these have a nice spicy ginger flavor as ginger muffins should! I brought them to a potluck and they were a hit with children and adults; one child even ate 3 of them! Mine had to cook 17 minutes."
"The answer is No, this is not too much ginger, followed to a tee.These muffins were delicious fresh out of the oven. They made 12 large muffins though, if you want regular 3/4 full size it's more like 16. I think because of the lemon peel, you need that much ginger or it would be over powered by the lemon. I would recommend warming them up if you don't eat them right away or you won't get all the same enjoyment. I cheated on the topping and just used already made crystilized ginger from the spice aisle. Another plus is that at 12 servings these wonderful muffins are under 270 calories. Will make again! Thanks"
"Very good, but not enough lemon. Next time I will try adding 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Also the baking time is way off. Needs at least 20 - 25 minutes"
"It probably should read 2tsp to 1 tbs. These amounts seem to work best."
"These are very tasty! I love the ginger and lemon together!! I have been trying to find a recipe that not only calls for ginger but actually tastes like ginger, not just hints at it.My only change was that I did not have candied ginger, so I just topped with a bit of cane sugar. Thank you for this recipe, I will definitely be making these again. (note: It made 1-1/2 doz, not 1 doz)"
"I agree also. That is way to much ginger. I will probably cut it in half and maybe a little less."
"I agree with post from Linda. I think this is too much ginger. I have some frozen in my freezer and this would be a good way to use some of the ginger, but 1/4 cup?? I will wait for other posts before making."
"I love lemon anything, but this looks like an awful lot of GINGER. Is the amount correct?"