VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons plus 3/4 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 egg, separated
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate Bow (recipe also in Recipe Finder)
- Line the bottom of a 9-in. springform pan with foil; grease foil and sides of pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside. Melt remaining butter. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in the water, oil and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and cocoa; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in pecans.
- In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until top begins to crack slightly and a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate over night.
- To assemble, invert cake onto a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Remove foil; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, heat chocolate and cream over very low heat until chocolate in melted (do not boil); stir until smooth, Remove from the heat. Cool if necessary until mixture reaches spreading consistency.
- Slowly pour over cake, smoothing sides with a metal spatula to evenly coat. Chill until set. Carefully transfer cake to a flat serving plate. Top with Chocolate Bow. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Gift-Wrapped Chocolate Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p73
Reviews forGift-Wrapped Chocolate Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review