- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with bananas. Stir in the oranges, coconut, chocolate chips, 1/2 cup almonds, cherries and dates.
- Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forGift of the Magi Bread
"I have made this several times since the recipe first came out in TOH to give as gifts. IT is so good. I use pecans in place of the almonds and mini chips instead of regular size. This is a favorite recipe!"
"I had actually prepared this bread when it first came out for Taste of Home! Instead of dried cherries, I'd used 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped. I also used 1/8 cup of flour to prevent the oranges, dates, dates, chocolate chips,cherries to prevent these ingredients from sinking to the bottom of the cake! Note: I'd greased and floured my pans-I found that even if the recipe doesn't specify to flour a loaf pan or a baking pan, I still flour it because it's easier to remove the bread or cake-I learned that quite some time back!This trick has worked for me! This is an excellent bread to use for the holidays!Dawn E. Lowenstein"
"I make this in memory of my mom who made it at Christmas time. I believe she got the recipe from the a nun at the Catholic church we went to. She never put in the almonds or dates because her 9 children were very finicky. She would sometimes make 4 mini loaf breads so she could share with our wonderful neighbors in Detroit. My husband likes it without the chocolate chips but I think that's the best part. Enjoy!"
"Have been making this for years and am always asked for it from friends at Christmas time. It has become the big favorite from all our friends."