- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar and salt. Stir in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes (dough will be sticky). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 14-in. rope; twist in a pretzel shape. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with butter; sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 6 pretzels.
Reviews forGiant Pretzels
"These are good! I have also made them as pretzel logs before to save time/effort when making a large batch. That way they are outstanding, because the amount of salt to bread is much higher."