- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar and salt. Stir in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes (dough will be sticky). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 14-in. rope; twist in a pretzel shape. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with butter; sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 6 pretzels.
Reviews forGiant Pretzels
"This recipe is exactly the same as the one we used in my junior high cooking class back in the 1970’s except for the addition of the melted butter on top. I was very happy to find it again."
"These are good! I have also made them as pretzel logs before to save time/effort when making a large batch. That way they are outstanding, because the amount of salt to bread is much higher."