Giant Mushroom Burger
Janice Delagrange from Mt. Airy, Maryland adds mushrooms and onion to well-seasoned lean ground beef before forming it into one giant family-pleasing patty. After grilling it, all she needs to do is slice and serve.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Pat into a 9-in. circle on a large sheet of waxed paper. Invert onto a greased wire grill basket; peel off waxed paper.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 10-13 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and meat juices run clear. Cut into six wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 224 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Giant Mushroom Burger in Quick Cooking July/August 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips