"I was an inexperienced cook when I married," relates Charlene Turnbull, Wainwright, Alberta. "A good friend, who was a cooking inspiration to me, shared many of her recipes, including this scrumptious dessert. It's handy to pull out of the freezer for unexpected guests."
Recommended: Our Favorite Ice Cream Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages fudge brownie mix (8-inch square pan size)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare the brownie mixes according to package directions, adding chocolate chips to batter. Pour into two greased 9-in. springform pans or two 9-in. round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Freeze for 2 hours or until easy to handle. Spoon ice cream on top of one brownie layer; top with toffee bits and second brownie layer. Wrap in plastic wrap; freeze until set. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Remove from freezer 10-15 minutes before serving.
- For chocolate sauce, combine milk, butter and chocolate chips in a saucepan. Heat until chips are melted; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners; sugar and vanilla. Cut the ice cream sandwich into wedges; serve with chocolate sauce. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Giant Ice Cream Sandwich in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p16
Reviews forGiant Ice Cream Sandwich
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 7, 2013
"Family loved it!"