- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2-ounce) whole tomatoes with liquid, cut up
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sour cream, chopped fresh tomatoes and/or shredded cheese and lettuce for garnish, optional
- In a skillet, brown beef with onion and green pepper. Drain. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place pie pastries on a baking sheet. Divide filling; spoon half of filling on one half of each pastry, spreading to within 1 in. of edges. Fold other half of pastry over filling and press edges to seal. Beat egg yolk with water; brush over pastries. Bake at 400° for about 20 minutes or until golden. Cut into wedges to serve. Garnish with sour cream, tomatoes, cheese and/or lettuce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forGiant Empanadas
"This was surprisingly good! It seemed so simple that I was a bit skeptical, but my whole family loved it! It would definitely make again!"
"Excellent, easy to make but on the dry side for hubby, so handed him the bottle of salsa and he gave it a... 4! :)"
"I have made this recipe many times over the years. Love this recipe, it's delicious, filling and most important easy!"
"Very close to what I make only I use a biscuit cutter that way each serving is a pocket"