VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Food coloring, optional
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Miniature or regular semisweet chocolate chips
- Sliced gumdrops or small decorating candies
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition (dough will be very stiff).
- Divide into two balls; roll each ball directly on an ungreased baking sheet to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut cookies with a dinosaur cookie cutter, leaving at least 1 in. between cookies. Remove excess dough and reroll scraps if desired.
- Bake 7-9 minutes for small cookies and 10-12 minutes for large cookies or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool 1-2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- If desired, add food coloring to frosting. Frost cookies. Decorate with chocolate chips for eyes and candies for spots. Yield: About 2 dozen 4-inch cookies or 1 dozen 8-inch cookies.
Originally published as Giant Dinosaur Cookies in Taste of Home August/September 1997, p37