- 1-1/2 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 can (26 ounces) garlic and herb spaghetti sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the first six ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and cool.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. When bread machine cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 3. Spread 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce over half of circle to within 1/4 in. of edges. Layer with Parmesan cheese, sausage, mushrooms, green pepper, onion and mozzarella cheese. Fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal.
With a sharp knife, make two slashes in dough; brush with egg. Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into six wedges. Warm remaining spaghetti sauce; serve with calzone.
Freeze option: Freeze individual wedges of cooled in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, microwave calzone on high on a microwave-safe plate until heated through.
1 each: 719 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 2032mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 30g protein.
Jan 25, 2013
Sep 5, 2011
My two boys, aged 11 and 8, loved this recipe! And it was actually easier than making homemade pizza.
Feb 19, 2011
My family loved it. I love using the bread maker and the ingredients are perfect for the maker. I also changed the filling such putting pepperoni, or ingredients of a veggie pizza, real mozzarella. I make my own meat tomato sauce alla bolognese.