Ghostly Pirate Cake
This moist white cake is a snap to prepare because it starts with a mix. Have fun decorating it--we sure did!--Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 red Fruit Roll-Ups, unrolled
- Sweetened shredded coconut and black food coloring
- Assorted candies of your choice ( Fruit by the Foot fruit roll, M&M's, black licorice twists, caramels, plain chocolate bar, dark purple Gummi Life Saver, red-hot candy and gold candy coins)
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
- Cut two pieces from the lower edges of each cake, forming a pirate's head (save small pieces for another use).
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter; top with 1/2 cup frosting; top with second cake layer. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting.
- For pirate's bandanna, place Fruit Roll-Ups over top edge of cake. Tint coconut with black food coloring; sprinkle over chin for goatee. Decorate pirate's features with assorted candies.
Originally published as Pirate Skull Cake in Taste of Home Halloween Food & Fun 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.