VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 red Fruit Roll-Ups, unrolled
- Shredded coconut and black food coloring
- Assorted candies of your choice: Fruit by the Foot fruit roll, M&M's, black licorice twists, caramels, plain chocolate bar, dark purple Gummi Life Saver, red-hot candy and gold candy coins
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely. Cut two pieces from the lower edges of each cake, forming a pirate's head (save small pieces for another use).
- For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth and fluffy. Place one cake on a serving platter. Spread with 1/2 cup frosting; top with second cake. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting.
- For pirate's bandanna, place Fruit Roll-Ups over top edge of cake. Tint coconut with black food coloring; sprinkle over chin for goatee. Decorate pirate's features with assorted candies. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Ghostly Pirate Cake in Taste of Home Halloween Food & Fun Annual 2006, p82