German Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato or vegetable juice
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Dissolve bouillon in water; add to the beef mixture. Add the salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaf, tomato juice, celery, carrots, potatoes, cabbage and green pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the corn, peas and beans; heat through. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 167 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 730mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 14, 2018
Really enjoyed this soup, very tasty. Will definately make it again.
Oct 14, 2015
This is the best soup I have ever had .I used Angus ground round in it ,delish.
Feb 6, 2014
Will definitely make again! Great on a cold winter's night.
Feb 5, 2014
Our new favorite!!! I did make a few minor changes...I used venison burger instead of beef, added a can of stewed tomatoes, cream style corn instead of whole kernel, and frozen peas instead of canned. It makes a huge amount & is so thick that it almost can't be called soup!!!
Feb 2, 2014
Delicious. My best friend and I both enjoyed this filling soup. I had everything on hand, so it was quick to throw together. I used spicy vegetable juice and it had a nice little kick.
Jan 30, 2014
yuk, veggies in the can? No thanks. Sorry
Jan 30, 2014
I make this all the time but I do substitute a bag of frozen vegies (corn, peas, green beans) & add a can of beef consomme. I also make ho-made noodles; this is the go to soup when the weather is nasty n chilly outside. I do not wait for cold weather as I could eat this soup all year round n I do !
Dec 6, 2013
I have to keep this on hand all winter - per my husband. He LOVES it.
Oct 24, 2013
This is an awesome soup. So good and warming on cold day! I actually used sausage with it instead of ground burger. Was delish!
Oct 12, 2013
I grew up on this soup, being German. We made it with a chuck roast, boiled it with salt and pepper until tender, cut it in chunks and used the broth from the beef instead of bouillon and always used canned veggies because that's what we had on hand. It isn't real German soup if you use frozen food, it was unheard of when I was growing up ! either fresh or canned. Love this soup on a cold winter day, it's my comfort food.