"GRANDMA'S spinach dish is flavored with her Austrian heritage. It's tasty and always looks so pretty on the plate. We children never had to be told to eat our spinach at Grandma's house!"
Recommended: 57 Superfood Spinach Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain well and set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the spinach, bacon, nutmeg, salt and pepper; heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as German-Style Spinach in Reminisce September/October 1994, p51