- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 12 hard-boiled large eggs, peeled
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Cool completely. Place onions and eggs in a large jar; add enough vinegar mixture to completely cover. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. Use a clean spoon each time you remove eggs for serving. Refrigerate up to 1 week. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forGerman-Style Pickled Eggs
"did not like the taste to pickled"
"I have made these for Oktoberfest parties. My family requests them at other times. They are quite good! easy to prepare."
"these are the first pickled eggs I have ever tasted or made, so I did not really know what to expect. They are very easy, and I think would also be great sliced on a salad, or tea sandwiches. I think that next time I may kick up the spice a wee bit, perhaps add a bit of red pepper flakes. My cloves were not the freshest, so that could be the reason they were more mild than expected."