- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Add the vinegar, sugar, onion, salt and pepper to the drippings. Bring to a boil.
- Add cabbage. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until heated through. Stir in bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forGerman-Style Cabbage and Beans
"I was given this recipe in a recipe swap, and it is FANTASTIC! I will definitely make this in the future for family functions and work occasions."
"Incredibly delicious!! The BEST bean recipe I have ever made and/or tasted. Pairs well with Cran-Orange pork Tenderloin."