- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat in the egg, egg yolks, sour cream, vanilla and yeast mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Place three ungreased baking sheets in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over a clean work surface. On the sugared surface, roll half of dough into a 12x8-in. rectangle (refrigerate remaining dough until ready to use). Sprinkle rectangle with 4 teaspoons sugar; fold into thirds.
- Give dough a quarter turn and repeat rolling, sugaring and folding two more times. Roll into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Cut into twelve 1-in.-wide strips; twist. Place on chilled baking sheets. Repeat with remaining sugar and dough.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, combine confectioners' sugar and cream. Dip twists into icing or drizzle icing over twists. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forGerman Sour Cream Twists
"I have made these several times and they are always a hit. Crisp, flakey, soft and chewy, all at the same time., what's not to love?"
"Thanks for this recipe - it was a definite hit! Made it with colored sugar for a kids party (read...fairy wands!) Has anyone tried it with cinnamon and brown sugar?"
"I recently made these twists and they were delicious! They do require time but the flavor and flakiness is totally worth it! I'll be making these again!"
"These were a little time consuming, but well worth it! I would definitely make these again."
"how do you exactly make the "twists" appear? The second batch looks better than the first, but mostly they just look "layered"."
"Should there be a rise time? They do not appear as light and fluffy as the picture."
"Added 2 teaspoons cinnamon to the sugar sprinkled on during rolling.....Yummy!"
"are you sure the sugar quantity is correct? it says 1.50 cups divided and it doesn't seem to add up to that much during the rolling procedure...."