German Skillet Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1. In a skillet, melt butter. Layer with sauerkraut, rice, onion and beef. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine water and tomato sauce; mix well. Pour over beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and rice is tender (do not stir). Yield: 8 servings.
Caraway and apples are natural companions to sauerkraut. So serve German Skillet with caraway rye bread and fresh apple slices.
1 slice: 295 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 1323mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for German Skillet
"this is fantastic. if you like sauerkraut, you have to make this. i did not change recipe at all except to reduce ingredients slightly as i am single."
"OMGosh, I use to make this dish 20 plus years ago and lost the recipe. I'm so very happy to have found it again, it's absolutely WONDERFUL!!"