German Skillet Meal
This was a quick, favorite meal when my children were growing up. I've entered my recipes in several contests and have won first—and second-place prizes.—Helen Phillips, Greensburg, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a skillet, cook ground beef and onion until the beef is browned and the onion is tender; drain. Stir in rice, tomato sauce, sauerkraut, caraway seeds, water, pepper, and salt if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 264 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as German Skillet Meal in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.