German Skillet Meal
This was a quick, favorite meal when my children were growing up. I've entered my recipes in several contests and have won first—and second-place prizes.—Helen Phillips, Greensburg, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a skillet, cook ground beef and onion until the beef is browned and the onion is tender; drain. Stir in rice, tomato sauce, sauerkraut, caraway seeds, water, pepper, and salt if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 264 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as German Skillet Meal in Country Ground Beef