- 8 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 pounds medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon to drain. Saute onion in drippings for 1 minute. Add sausage; cook until lightly browned. Add potatoes; cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
- Transfer sausage mixture to a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the soup, sauerkraut, water, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forGerman Potato Salad with Sausage
"This recipe is absolutely delicious. I've made this several times. It is tasty and filling. When I made this, I adapted it for the top of the stove and did not use a slow cooker. I did NOT rinse the kraut, and used about double what was called for. I put about 1/4 cup more of water and cooked in covered heavy dutch oven slowly on top of stove - about an hour. It was absolutely delicious."
"I really enjoyed this! I like that the potatoes were browned first to get that tasty texture outside. I also liked that it has a long cook time. I work long hours and end up burning a lot of recipes if I don't plug the slow cooker into a timer."
"Made this per recipe BEST POTATO salad EVER!!! Give yourself a treat!"
"I made this using leftover bacon (yes that's a real thing at my house) and in a hurry, so I added my reserved bacon grease directly to the crockpot, then sausage and onion. Instead of rinsing and draining all the flavor off the sauerkraut, I left the juice in and omitted the water and salt from the recipe. Since I wasn't pre-browning the potatoes, I tossed the cut pieces with the soup mixture (so they wouldn't stick together) before adding that to the crockpot. Finally, I saved the bacon to top the potato salad at the end, so it stayed crispy.This was delicious and is on our list of recipes to repeat."
"This was so good i went by the recipe it came out great!"
"This is very good. My family loved it and I didn't have any leftovers."
"This is in the crockpot right now...can't wait till supper time! The only thing I did different was added a bit of caraway seed. Oh wait, reading down I see someone suggest adding a few carrots...gotta go!"
"This is really good and easy. I added extra sauerkraut and it was fantastic. Otherwise, kept everything else the same and the family loved it."
"Simple to prepare and so delicious! I love sauerkraut so I add extra and don't rinse it in order to get a tangier flavor. I add extra bacon as well. A terrific main dish on it's own, leftovers can be used as a side dish. This is a wonderful, hearty one dish meal that's excellent in the fall and winter."