- 1 egg
- 3-1/2 cups milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup finely shredded uncooked peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Hot mashed potatoes, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/2 cup milk, Worcestershire sauce, shredded potatoes, onion, salt, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 48 balls.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook meatballs in butter in batches until no longer pink; remove and keep warm.
- Stir flour into drippings until blended; gradually add the remaining milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return meatballs to the pan; heat through. Serve with mashed potatoes if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forGerman Meatballs and Gravy
"These were amazing! Wouldn't change a thing about it!"
"Delicious, my whole family loved it! Great leftovers!"
"The sauce is rich and a bit heavy, but these meatballs have great flavor."