German Deli Pizza
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2/3 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In bread machine pan, place dough ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch dough down; roll into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to a 12-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray; build up edges slightly. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small saucepan, saute chopped onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add evaporated milk and mustard. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese. Spread over crust. Top with sliced onion, ham and cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until crust and cheese are lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 330 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Nov 19, 2013
So delicious!! I love the crust and the sauce! I make it at least once every couple of months.
Feb 28, 2010
This was tasty (and totally unlike any pizza I've ever tried before). Loved the tang of mustard in the sauce! I subbed prosciutto for the ham and used a pre-baked crust.
Mar 30, 2009
Made this pizza and loved it! I like the fact that it is not traditional 'tomato base' pizza recipe. I will defiantly make it again!