German Chocolate with Pretzel Crust Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed pretzels
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 2-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pretzels, egg and butter. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and corn syrup until blended. Fold in coconut, chips and pecans; pour over crust. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until edges are brown and center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 173 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 23, 2011
People rave over these bars when I make them....so delicious!
Jun 7, 2011
These were tasty however mine came out very, very gooey. I baked them as directed by the recipe but I don't think they really ever set up. I like all the flavors together, but am disappointed that they seemed very under-baked. They don't look that runny in the photo so I'm assuming they're not supposed to be. I may try to make them one more time and bake them even longer and just hope they firm up more but don't burn!
Jan 30, 2011
These were good, but over the top sweet for me. I think it was the butterscotch chips that threw it over the edge for me. I'd prefer to just make Hello Dolly's. I like them a lot more.
Jan 6, 2011
These are great! My husband loved them and I am making the second batch in one week. I thought they might be too gooey when they came out of the oven, but after they cooled they were firmer and they disappeared in a wink!
Dec 18, 2010
These were FABULOUS!!! I got nothing but compliments on them! The only thing different I did was use crushed graham cracker instead of the crushed pretzels. This recipe is an absolute must keep!!!!
Dec 12, 2010
Can I give it six stars? SO good! I can already see I will have to make one or two more batches of this one for the holiday season.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.