I first tried tres leches cake while in Ecuador several years ago. Since then, I’ve changed it up by adding some of my favorite ingredients, namely chocolate and coconut. This version also has a splash of rum for an adults-only treat. —Lisa Varner, El Paso, Texas
Featured In: 18 Recipes for Rum Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup rum
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Chocolate syrup, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using a 13x9-in. baking pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk milks, 1/2 cup cream and rum. With a wooden skewer, poke holes in cake about 1/2 in. apart. Slowly pour milk mixture over cake, allowing mixture to absorb into cake. Let stand 30 minutes. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl, beat remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over top of cake. Sprinkle with coconut and pecans. If desired, drizzle servings with chocolate syrup. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as German Chocolate Tres Leches Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p169
Reviews forGerman Chocolate Tres Leches Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review