German Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, pecans and vanilla. Set aside 1-1/4 cups for topping.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, flour, melted butter and remaining coconut mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each cookie. Fill each cookie with a teaspoonful of reserved topping.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 113 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 6, 2019
I have made this recipe many times and everyone that has tasted these cookies, loved them. I made the recipe with no changes. This cookie is delicious!!
Aug 27, 2017
There is something wrong with this recipe on the cake part adding 1/3 cup melted butter didn't get moist and too dry and crumble. What else did you add beside butter? What a wasted money! Recipe not cleared.Maybe I will make it again but not using the cake mix. Topping is great!
Jul 11, 2017
Hate seeing things made with boxed cake mixes or premade frostings. Too many trans fats. :(
Jun 10, 2017
Sorry but I followed this to the letter but use Swiss Chocolate cake mix. They taste okay but are very soft. Won't make again.
May 10, 2017
All I can say is WOW! These were fantastic and my office loved trying them out! I also did half the batch in 'thumbprints' and the rest in the batter and both were really good. Will definitely do again!
Dec 20, 2016
Easy and very good,definitely chill first!Will be making these again.
Mar 7, 2015
All I can say is "YUMMMYYYYYYYYY"I've tried the cookie using the thumbprint method and I've also have an alternate way to use the topping...... I mix it into the cookie batter:) comes out just as delicious and it's not as much work! I've made this recipe about 6-7x and I'm going to make it again (after I review it)I'm really trying to eat clean and get some abs here,but this recipe is my Achilles heel! ( Oh and for the butter, I substitute that with coconut oil)Side note: I'm NOT even a fan of German chocolate!!!!!!!!!!(Made this for my dad for his bday cz he's the one that loves german chocolate cake)
Jan 6, 2013
Loved these, and for once I will say mine turned out better looking that the picture in the magazine! They are a bit messy but they taste heavenly. With the batter having no raw eggs for a person who loves to eat the dough I indulged in that too without guilt and fear. They are a bit messy to make getting that filling in the small hole of a spoon was a waste of time so I went with other options for making the hold in the batter. These were a desert favorite from all my guys and grandparents too.
Aug 3, 2012
A terrific way to cook the basic ingredients for a very rich cookie base. Ending with a German Chocolate Cake Mix to fill-out the cookie batter, this is a rich cookie. It will serve well for a special occasion or over any Holiday! Read the directions, to understand just how the 'Thumbprint' feature is used! Enjoy!!!
May 8, 2012
Since I can't send my mom German chocolate cake (her favorite) for Mother's Day, I mailed her these cookies instead. She loved them! They were gone in a couple of days. The next time I make them, I will definitely try to refrigerate them longer. They were a bit messy to handle.