My son and I love chocolate, so I made this brownie-like recipe to satisfy any chocolate lover. The pecans add a welcome crunch. —John Williams, Beaumont, Texas
Recommended: 30 Classic Christmas Cookies to Spread Holiday Cheer
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; press evenly onto bottom and up sides of ungreased mini-muffin cups.
- Pulse pecans and coconut in a food processor until finely chopped. In a small bowl, whisk brown sugar, egg, butter, vanilla and salt. Whisk in chocolate. Stir in pecan mixture. Place a rounded teaspoon of filling in each cup. Bake until filling is set, 17-20 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as German Chocolate Tassies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2017