German Chocolate Sundaes
"This terrific topping is a real treat over chocolate ice cream," writes field editor DeEtta Rasmussen of Fort Madison, Iowa. "It's fun and fancy at the same time and much cooler to make on hot days than a German chocolate cake."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate ice cream
- Chocolate syrup and additional coconut and pecans, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, pecans and vanilla. Stir until sauce is cooled slightly. Serve over ice cream. Top with chocolate syrup, coconut and pecans if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 180 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as German Chocolate Sundaes in Taste of Home June/July 2002