German Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, squeezed dry and finely chopped
- 2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water. Fold in sauerkraut, coconut and pecans. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- 2. In a bowl, combine melted chocolate and mayonnaise. Set aside 1-1/4 cups for frosting. To the remaining chocolate mixture, add half of the coconut and pecans; spread between cake layers. Spread reserved chocolate mixture over top and sides of cake. Combine remaining coconut and pecans; press onto sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Slice with a serrated knife. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 piece: 570 calories, 37g fat (15g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for German Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake
"Without the frosting, I found it had a slight cabbage taste. Once the frosting was on it was okay. would I make it again.. probably not. The cake was okay, but in all honesty, I have had better, for less fuss."
"What can I substitute in place of the coconut? I don't know why but I just don't care for it at all...now coconut milk is a different story love it..."
"I prepared this recipe for the first time 3/15/14-in fact, I made this recipe twice tonight! I used 1 tsp. salt in this recipe and instead of water, I used 1 cup whole milk which I soured with 1 Tbsp. vinegar. I did chop the sauerkraut after I rinsed, drained and squeezed it dry, using my food processor. I used one 12x8" greased and floured baking pan and an 8x8x2" square baking pan, greased and floured the first time around and I used one round 8" baking pan and a 12x8" baking pan, greased and floured the 2nd time around! For the icing: I just used 1 can of chocolate frosting (prepared) and added 2 Tbsp. milk and 1/3 cup each flaked coconut and finely chopped pecans. I actually used 2 cans of chocolate frosting, but I prepared the frosting with 1/2 the coconut and pecans twice! I used a medium bowl for the frosting, 1/2 of the coconut and pecans & 2 Tbsp. milk for each recipe! I combined the other half of the pecans and coconut (1/3 cup each) which I sprinkled over the top of the cakes which I'd iced. I baked the cakes for 40 minutes at 350o F. and they tested done! I found that I'd had to scrape the bottom and sides of bowl after adding eggs and vanilla to make sure that the mixture was blended well! I have found that I also have to evenly spread the batter in pans! All in all, this recipe is great! I purposely chose NOT to prepare this cake as a layer cake! Thank you, Patricia Kile, for sharing your recipe! I'm planning to share these cakes with my chapel/the hospital depts. where I volunteer! I also have a new use for sauerkraut! And it's on account of this cake! I'd made a similar recipe this past week and no one would even know that there was sauerkraut in the cake! I'd chopped the sauerkraut finely and I think that's the difference! delowenstein"
"I haven't made it yet, but I am going to make one tomorrow. It just SOUNDS like a fabulous cake. Can't wait to taste it. !!!"
"I've made this 3 times. It is decadent. Foolproof. It's rich and delicious. Like a dessert you would get served at a posh restaurant. You can't go wrong with this one. And no one will believe that it has sauerkraut in it. EXCELLENT!"