German Chocolate Ring Recipe
This recipe is modeled after German sweet chocolate cake, which is my favorite, so it's no wonder I enjoy making and eating this sweet-tasting bread! It can be made ahead, too, and stored in the freezer for convenience. —Anne Frederick, New Hartford, New York
- 1-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 large eggs, divided use
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1. In small bowl, combine 1 cup coconut, 3/4 cup chocolate chips, pecans and 1 egg; set aside. In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast. In small saucepan, heat milk and 4 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°; add to flour mixture, beating until smooth. Add remaining eggs and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; turn onto lightly floured surface. Roll dough into 18x10-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter and brush over dough; spread with reserved chocolate mixture.
- 4. Roll up dough jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet. Pinch ends together to form a ring.
- 5. With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips; let stand for 5 minutes. Spread melted chips; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Carefully remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 24 servings.
1 slice: 222 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for German Chocolate Ring
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC