- 1 package (4 ounces) German sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9-inches)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
- In a saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring to mix well. Remove from the heat and gradually blend in milk; set aside. In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Gradually stir in chocolate mixture. Pour into pastry shell. combine pecans and coconut; sprinkle over filling. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until puffed and browned. Cool 4 hours. Chill (filling will become firm as it cools). Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forGerman Chocolate Pie
"This is wonderful! You'll definitely need a deep dish pie shell. All my friends loved it; however, it was a bit sweet for me. I'll probably cut back on the sugar some the next time. Definitely a keeper!"
"Llangley6 we use large eggs in the Test Kitchen. Note that it calls for a deep-dish pastry shell."
"Wanting to try this. Has anyone else had a problem using large eggs?"
"Our son-in-law loves pie, so I try to make one for him often. This recipe has been in my file for years but never made it until yesterday. He an our daughter said it was really,really good and she asked for the recipe."
"Loved this. I'm a big coconut & chocolate fan so this hit the spot. Can't wait to introduce the rest of my family to it. Definitely a keeper!"
"I love this recipe, my family just had a fit over it! I also took it to work and my co- workers are driving me crazy over the recipe!!"