German Chocolate Lazy Daisy Cake
Traditional German chocolate cake gets a whole new spin with this inventive version that's finished off under the high heat of the broiler instead of being frosted in layers. —Linda Schend, Kenosha, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. pan. In a bowl, combine oats, butter and chocolate; pour boiling water over top. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir oatmeal mixture until combined; whisk in eggs and brown sugar. In another bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; stir into oatmeal mixture just until combined.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven. Preheat broiler.
- Combine topping ingredients; spread over warm cake. Broil 4 in. from heat until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes.