German Chocolate Cheesecake Squares
When people ask about my all-time favorite recipe, I have a hard time deciding. But this recipe is definitely tops among sweet.—Jerry Minerich, Westminster, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt, egg, butter and 1 cup of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth; gradually add cocoa and sugar. Beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Pour into crust. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown; cool.
- In a saucepan, combine first four topping ingredients; cook over low heat until thick, about 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, coconut and nuts. Spread over cooled cake. Chill at least 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 157 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as German Chocolate Cheesecake Squares in Taste of Home April/May 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.