- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt, egg, butter and 1 cup of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes. Punch dough down. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth; gradually add cocoa and sugar. Beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Pour into crust. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown; cool.
- In a saucepan, combine first four topping ingredients; cook over low heat until thick, about 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, coconut and nuts. Spread over cooled cake. Chill at least 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forGerman Chocolate Cheesecake Squares
"My husbands 2 favorite desserts all rolled into one. easy and oh so delicious!!"
"A family favorite at my house! Delicious!!"