German Chocolate Caramel Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl, combine cake mix and oats; cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup. Stir egg into remaining oat mixture (mixture will be crumbly).
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat the filling ingredients until smooth; spread over crust. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the pecans, brown sugar, oats, butter and reserved oat mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake 15 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate until firm before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 148 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 18, 2011
These bars are yummy! The only thing different I did was after I spread the filling on the crust, I sprinkled on some chocolate chips before adding the topping.
Mar 15, 2008
I made these bars will become a family favorite. Easy and not overly sweet.
Mar 15, 2008
I get at least one recipe request every time I take these cookies to a church potluck. The caramel and cream cheese filling is a winner.Hazel Baldner, Austin, MinnesotaView this recipe now