Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 large head green cabbage (3 pounds), coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (29 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken to bag, a few pieces at a time. Seal bag and toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil and butter on all sides. Transfer to a large Dutch oven or roaster; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Top with half of the cabbage and onion.
- In a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and remaining garlic powder and pepper. Pour half over the cabbage and onion. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear and cabbage is tender.
Nutrition Facts14 ounce-weight: 919 calories, 45g fat (14g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 2135mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 15g fiber), 60g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 3, 2011
Very flavourful. The entire family liked it.
Oct 21, 2009
This is awesome, seemed to be a lot of work, but well worth it! I have made it more than once and will be making it again!