German Apple Salad
In culinary school, I had to make a salad with Granny Smith apples. I remembered my mother’s German potato salad and swapped out the potatoes. —Sharyn Hill, Las Cruces, New Mexico
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 6 bacon strips, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5-1/2 cups Granny Smith apples (about 4 large), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add onion; cook until tender, 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Add water and vinegar; cook and stir until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Return bacon to pan; gently add apple slices. Cook, stirring constantly, until apples are wilted and slightly caramelized, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 232 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as German Apple Salad in Taste of Home September/October 2016