In culinary school, I had to make a salad with Granny Smith apples. I remembered my mother’s German potato salad and swapped out the potatoes. —Sharyn Hill, Las Cruces, New Mexico
Recommended: 52 Sweet and Savory Apple Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 bacon strips, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5-1/2 cups Granny Smith apples (about 4 large), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add onion; cook until tender, 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Add water and vinegar; cook and stir until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Return bacon to pan; gently add apple slices. Cook, stirring constantly, until apples are wilted and slightly caramelized, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat; serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as German Apple Salad in Taste of Home September/October 2016, p86
Reviews forGerman Apple Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2016
"It was ok, if you do this don't put the pepper in it."