- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Add vanilla. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges.
- For filling, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle 3 tablespoons into crust. Layer with half of the apples; sprinkle with half of the remaining sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Pour cream over all.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake for 55-60 minutes or until apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forGerman Apple Pie
"I might not eat alot of pies, but this is one of the best pies I have ever tasted in my entire life"
"This is the easiest apple pie I have ever made, fabulous each time, very moist. Never fail recipe"
"Creamy and delicious! I was a little unsure about this but it is my husband's favorite apple pie now!"
"This pie was creamy and very tasty. Don't fill too full or it will bubble over and cream will burn on edges of crust."
"Oh boy, this is GOOD! Used my own pie crust: 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup shortening, 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar (mixed with the 1 teaspoon vanilla extract) and 1-2 Tablespoons cold water. ( The liquid amount changes with the weather and today I didn't need any water at all. Once I add the vinegar mixture I mix it with a fork then add additional water only if it doesn't hold together.) After that I followed the recipe exactly (took only 3 apples to make 6 cups) and baked it an additional 5 minutes - 10 at 400° and 65 at 350°. Perfect!"
"This was my first time making a pie ever and it came out pretty good :)"