- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (about 4 to 5 apples)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Combine the first three ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Combine oil and orange juice and add alternately with dry ingredients to egg mixture. Beat until smooth; add vanilla and beat well.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured tube pan. Arrange half the apples over the batter. Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle half over the apples. Top with remaining batter, apples and cinnamon/sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 1 hour before removing from pan. Cool, apple side up, on a wire rack. Sprinkle top with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forGerman Apple Cake
"dose it have to be a bundt pan or willl turn out diffrent if i dont use one don't have one and went went to the gorey store was hoping they had a foil one but no will try the dollar general torow cus have all the ingredients"
"This cake is excellent. Have made it several times."
"I had this in my family for years before seeing almost the same exact recipe here. It is definitely a winner! My cake (almost same amount of ingredients) looks much bigger than what is pictured here. It also takes a little longer to bake. I combine the cinnamon and sugar in the beginning and toss into the apples and set aside while I make the batter. I also use a bit more sugar and cinnamon to toss the apples in."
"Four stars on the recipe as written above. My pregnant wife really likes this cake. I've changed this recipe around and she likes it even better. I add some crushed walnuts to the batter (I just eyeball the amount). I toss the apples and cinnamon/suger mix in a ziploc rather than sprinkling it. Try using Pam's "happy cooking" spray on tube pan then sprinkle more cinnamon and sugar around the pan before added the 1st layer of batter, makes for a sweet outter layer (however, I cut the sugar in the recipe to about 1 3/4 cups). Prep time is a lot faster if you use a food processor and apple cutter and I find if your apples are large 3 is more than enough. My oven cooks this cake in 75-80 minutes in a 12" tube pan. easy cake to make with kids... plus they can eat the extra cinnamon/sugar covered apple slices."
"Love this recipe. I just added walnuts."
"This is also the same recipe I use for Jewish Apple cake. It's a recipe we use so that we may have it as part of a Kosher meal as it is sans dairy. For the "trained pastry chef"....make it and make it the way it's written. It absolutely is the perfect amounts of everything, it's prettier with the apple ribbons, but I suppose you could mix all ingredients together. I use 5 apples, 2 cups sugar, 1 cup of oil, 1/4 cup oj. It takes a patient person to bake this because it is often in the oven for upwards of 90 minutes!! But I've made it DOZENS of times and have never had a failure and have never had a single person not like it. It is a heavy cake, but a superbly moist cake (not oily at all). And it tastes even better the next day!!!!"
"This cake is really good. My kids have requested me to make this again. I added all the apples into the mix instead of doing half in the middle and half on the top. It really gave the cake a nice flavor and kept it moist. The prep time took me longer than 15 minutes, but I was using small apples, manually peeling, slicing and coring them. We did not use the powdered sugar as it was just perfect without it."
"One would probably use a 10'' or 12'' tube pan NOT a small one...I will definitely try this one."