German Apple Cake with Sweet Drizzle
Tender apple slices and a simple confectioner's-sugar drizzle make this old-world treat yummy and comforting. It's especially good served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.—Tracey Rosato, Markham, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in milk and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; beat into creamed mixture just until moistened. With lightly floured hands, pat into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Arrange apples over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Combine the confectioners' sugar, butter and milk; drizzle over the top.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 325 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 20, 2016
I suggest omit orange peel and sugar instead use orange marmalade and ginger to give dish that Asian flare
Nov 5, 2015
FANTASTIC!! Love this recipe-made it exactly as written.thanks for sharing!!