German Apple Cake with Sweet Drizzle
Tender apple slices and a simple confectioner's-sugar drizzle make this old-world treat yummy and comforting. It's especially good served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.—Tracey Rosato, Markham, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in milk and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; beat into creamed mixture just until moistened. With lightly floured hands, pat into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Arrange apples over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Combine the confectioners' sugar, butter and milk; drizzle over the top.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 325 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as German Applecake in Country Woman Christmas 2010
Oct 20, 2016
I suggest omit orange peel and sugar instead use orange marmalade and ginger to give dish that Asian flare
Nov 5, 2015
FANTASTIC!! Love this recipe-made it exactly as written.thanks for sharing!!