George's Barbecued Chicken Recipe
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 cups catsup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 frying chicken (about 3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1. In a 3- or 4-qt. saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and saute onion until transparent. Add the catsup, vinegar, lemon juice, pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a skillet on medium-high. Brown chicken on all sides. Drain chicken and place in a baking pan. Pour sauce over chicken and bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until tender. Yield: 4-6 servings.
4-1/2 ounce-weight: 503 calories, 29g fat (6g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 1348mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Reviews for George's Barbecued Chicken
"This is one of our favorites and I use this sauce recipe on other meats as well."
"This recipe is awesome. I made it to the letter. It came out tender, juicy and delicious. After cutting meat from the bone we spooned the sauce over the meat. Definately a keeper in our kitchen. Thanks George, great recipe."
"I noted that the first reviewer said this made a lot of sauce and it looked like it would make a lot to me too, so I halved the sauce recipe. While eating the chicken, my husband said, "The sauce is good, but there's not enough of it." lol"