George’s Barbecued Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Add the ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, brown chicken on all sides in remaining oil over medium-high heat. Drain chicken and transfer to a 13x9-in. baking pan. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts4-1/2 ounce-weight: 503 calories, 29g fat (6g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 1348mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Apr 22, 2017
This is one of our favorites and I use this sauce recipe on other meats as well.
Feb 18, 2017
Excellent. I halved the recipe and still had plenty for one chicken breast. This is delicious. The chicken had an awesome flavor. I used sriracha sauce in place of the pepper sauce. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor
Jan 12, 2014
This recipe is awesome. I made it to the letter. It came out tender, juicy and delicious. After cutting meat from the bone we spooned the sauce over the meat. Definately a keeper in our kitchen. Thanks George, great recipe.
Jun 18, 2013
I noted that the first reviewer said this made a lot of sauce and it looked like it would make a lot to me too, so I halved the sauce recipe. While eating the chicken, my husband said, "The sauce is good, but there's not enough of it." lol
Nov 15, 2010
My kids LOVED this, and it was really very easy to make. Next time I'll add in more chicken pieces, as it makes a lot of sauce. With the leftover pieces, I pulled the meat off the bones and tossed it with the sauce for sandwiches the next day. DELISH!