Gentleman’s Whiskey Bacon Jam
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds thick-sliced bacon strips, finely chopped
- 8 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add shallots and onion to the drippings; cook over medium heat until caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add seasonings. Remove from heat; stir in whiskey and maple syrup. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add vinegar and brown sugar; cook another 3 minutes, continuing to stir constantly.
- Add crumbled bacon; reduce heat to low, and cook 12 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Allow jam to cool slightly. Pulse half of the jam in a food processor until smooth; stir puree into remaining jam. Serve with assorted crackers.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 112 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Apr 11, 2018
Definitely a winner in my house. I made a batch of it for a party and served it as an appetizer with some crackers and slices of brie cheese. I took the leftovers and put them on a grilled chicken sandwich for dinner a few nights later. I froze the rest and will try it in a few weeks. Very delicious.
Nov 5, 2017
How is this stored and how long does it keep?
Jan 12, 2017
I was intrigued by this dish and thought it was OK. Most people reacted with a "wow, this is different" but didn't go back for more. I served it over a block of soften cream cheese with crackers. Probably won't make it again but it was fun to try.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.