Garlic Vegetable Rice Medley
I keep an herb garden and plant several seasonal vegetables each spring. I can't wait until the farmer's market opens each summer so I can see what tasty squash, beans and greens the real farmers are offering up. Then I can head home and make this recipe.—Andy Anderson, Graham, Washington
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 2 cups cubed zucchini, yellow summer squash and/or butternut squash
- 3/4 cup frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped seeded peeled plum tomatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Lemon wedges or hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute leek and garlic in oil until tender. Add broth, rice, raisins, squash, lima beans and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, peas and cilantro; cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Serve with lemon or hot pepper sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 182 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Vegetable Rice Medley in Taste of Home October/November 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.