- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Place squash in a 13x9-in. baking pan, cut side down; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and mushrooms over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add half of the garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, pasta sauce and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add remaining garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in squash, salt and remaining pepper; heat through. Serve with meat sauce and, if desired, cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forGarlic Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce
"I liked this recipe very much. I didn’t have fresh mushrooms or plum tomatoes so my modifications were a can of undrained sliced mushrooms and one regular tomato. The sauce was nice and thick. Be sure to finish the squash like it says to add the garlic flavor."