Garlic-Rubbed Yankee Pot Roast
Rubbing garlic onto the roast before browning adds lots of flavor. With this recipe, the meat and vegetables turn out moist and tender.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless beef eye round roast (3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Rub garlic onto roast, then coat with flour. In a large Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Add the tomato juice, carrots, onions, celery, bay leaves, seasoning blend, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-1/2 hours, turning meat occasionally.
- Add potatoes; simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves. Remove roast and slice; serve with vegetables and gravy.