I have served these hens for backyard cookouts as well as a formal dinner entrée. The garlic is mild and pleasant and combined with rosemary and lemon results in meat, tender and moist.
Recommended: The Perfect Thanksgiving Dinner for Four
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 Cornish game hen (20 ounces), split lengthwise
- 1/2 medium lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- Place hens, breast side up, over lemon and rosemary in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add garlic to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°.
- Pour broth and wine over hen and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until juices run clear, basting twice with pan juices. Remove hen to serving plates and keep warm.
- Transfer pan juices to a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until pan juices reach desired consistency. Strain juices and serve with hen. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Garlic-Rosemary Cornish Hen in Reminisce December/January 2010, p51