Garlic Pepper Toast
"So pretty and colorful, this is one of my favorites," says field editor Mary Detweiler of West Farmington, Ohio. "It's also nice as an appetizer alongside a summer salad or winter soup."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes1 to 1-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 each small green, sweet red and yellow pepper, julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet, saute onion, pepper and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil until tender. Add basil and garlic salt; set aside. Cut bread into 1-in. slices. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil each side for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush remaining oil on one side of bread. Top with pepper mixture and cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 256 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Garlic Pepper Toast in Taste of Home June/July 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.