Garlic-Onion Appetizer Rounds
I think this recipe is the perfect way to showcase our famous, local Maui sweet onions. They thrive in our balmy tropical climate and rich, volcanic soils. —Kristine Snyder, Kihei, Hawaii
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min.
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook onions in butter until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Unfold puff pastry. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over pastry. Spread onion mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheeses and basil; roll up jelly-roll style. Cut into 16 slices.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 12-14 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 114 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Onion Garlic Wheels in Country Woman April/May 2008
Sep 1, 2014
The onions go very caramel-y and rich - when I served these people didn't guess there were onions in them! Super yum.
Sep 18, 2008
We loved these! We really love mushrooms, so I added chopped mushrooms. Delicious!